The Beginnings of a Blog...

My photo
After years of living in close proximity,and knowing each other not-so-well, a Teacher and a Mom start talking. They begin to find out they have a myriad of things in common, including baking, gaudy earrings, and most importantly, BOOKS! Since this discovery happens after the Mom has moved thousands of miles away to Kansas, they begin an over the phone book club, consisting of two people, long talks, favorite reads, and a quirky name. Thus, "The Dorothy & Toto Book Club" had sprung into existence. Since we are constantly on the lookout for more fabulous literature, and have a passion for hearing ourselves speak, what better outlet could be found then our very own book review blog? Check us out~ if you love what we say, please tell us. If you disagree with every fiber of your being, let us know that too~ We're both East Coasters at heart, and we love a good scrap over conflicting views now and again :)

Sunday, June 9, 2013


Have Library Card, Will Travel

So, I’m in situation that I’m sure many individuals can relate to.    While I would LOVE to spend my summer reclining in the sun, with a cool, frosty beverage in my hand, a warm wave slipping up to rinse the sand from between my toes, it’s just not in the foreseeable future.    It appears that someone lost the necessary paperwork on my trustfund, and well... (sigh...)This makes me a bit sad, but, as I’m not destined for faraway climes anytime soon, I’ve decided to make the best of it by curling up my pasty-white self into a corner of the couch (or stretching on a deck chair- life’s really not that bad J ) and diving headfirst into a plethora of promising looking tomes that I’ve heard of, read about, or inadvertently discovered.  

Truth to tell, my journeys have been pretty exciting;  So far this summer, I’ve been to Mississippi, France, Bavaria, New York and quite a few other uncharted regions!  Now, that being said, some of those journeys that I’ve taken haven’t ended up how I would have picked, and there were a few that had me downright irate…when you travel by book, you have to travel by the book, if you catch my meaning.  You can’t alter an ending just because it displeases you; you can’t change an outcome to save a beloved character (even if you see their fate descending on their heads like the snapped string of the sword of Damocles), and no matter how hard you slam a book shut and then proceed to rant, rave, and lose sleep over a rotten ending, you must accept the simple fact that the book doesn’t care.  

 This can be a hard truth to face, especially when we invest our time (and sometimes our emotions, if the author’s gifted) in pouring ourselves into a story, grow attached to the characters (some of them, anyway), who, either in spite (or because) of their flaws and foibles still manage to speak to us and draw us in.   It can be a bit of any unrequited love, you could say; or maybe a single sided infatuation.  Even if we invest ourselves in a promising book, we can still end up being betrayed, enraged, outraged or just feeling downright gypped. 

 Luckily, this is not always the case!  In fact, more often than not, we as the readers end up awash in a sea of tranquility that stretches around us as a story takes hold.  A great author can navigate us through the ebbs and swells that batter our vessels, steering through the salty depths of an experience by the guidance of universal truths that speak out as constellations to sailors amidst a black night.  When you are lucky enough to journey into a book like that, my friend, don’t let it get away.  Keep it, buy it, shelve, save it; and when necessary, take that trip again when your life needs a respite.


What books steer you true?   What speaks to you, guides you, refreshes you?  What have you found that, unlooked for, makes you laugh while reading in the doctor’s office, or cry on the subway, or cuss at the culmination?  In addition to those that can guide us, I feel (and some may disagree) that any book that slips off the page and pulls a human emotion from the depths of your heart is a book worth having read.

Happy travels!

3 comments:

  1. Yes - great books really do give you a glimpse of another life, don't they? A total vacation from your own reality, indeed!

    I currently finished up Book 6 of the Oz Chronicles. I dunno if you'd be into it at all, but it's a youth fiction book that plays at horror. Oz is a young boy who made fun of a child with down-syndrome because he wanted to "fit in" with his group of friends. In truth, Oz has a heart of gold and hates himself for doing something he knows is wrong. The entire series is Oz fighting the demons he helped create by making fun of this one child. He basically learns that his one action has consequences that reach out far beyond himself and Stevie (the child he made fun of).

    The Feed Trilogy is technically about zombies, but its really more a detective story that pits a group of misfit friends against the government. Loved that story and really hope they come out with a movie.

    Finally, Ender's Game. They are coming out with a movie, but the book was absolutely incredible. You're talking vacation? This book will take you to outerspace and beyond. Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I read Ender's Game for the first time a few months back !! I had heard it was good, but hadn't actually read it til then. I concur, wholeheartedly! It's totally engrossing, and completely draws you in. I have to say, though, it made me so sad. I'm not usually the 'mothering' type, but I just wanted to bring that little guy home and squeeze him!
    I'll have to look for the Oz books, they sound intriquing!
    Can you present us with a 500 word or less dissertation on why zombies are suddenly hip?? I don't get it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy, you won't be disappointed with Oz. Borderline horror, and you'll feel the same "mothering" way you did about Ender for Oz, but the sheer creativity behind the concept of the story will keep you coming back.

    As for zombies, I had to think about that. I think the sudden popularity comes from the Walking Dead graphic novels. Zombies have always been a pretty strong "subculture" of fans. Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, etc have been around for a few decades now. However, the popularity came from the Walking Dead graphic novel series. In many ways it legitimized the entire genre by giving a very psychological, dark spin to what was, in essence, a "this is all ridiculous and we know the audience is in on the joke" movie genre.

    Some films helped push the envelope along, but the biggest boost zombies had was Walking Dead comics. They were so popular for so long that a hugely successful TV series came out of it. That only furthered the zombie claim to fame and now everyone's all about 'em.

    I love me some Bruce Campbell, but I still wouldn't say zombies top any "Can't wait to read / see this!" list I've got. That being said, The Feed Trilogy is worth your time... even if you absolutely HATE zombies.

    ReplyDelete