The Beginnings of a Blog...

My photo
After years of living in close proximity,and knowing each other not-so-well, a Teacher and a Mom start talking. They begin to find out they have a myriad of things in common, including baking, gaudy earrings, and most importantly, BOOKS! Since this discovery happens after the Mom has moved thousands of miles away to Kansas, they begin an over the phone book club, consisting of two people, long talks, favorite reads, and a quirky name. Thus, "The Dorothy & Toto Book Club" had sprung into existence. Since we are constantly on the lookout for more fabulous literature, and have a passion for hearing ourselves speak, what better outlet could be found then our very own book review blog? Check us out~ if you love what we say, please tell us. If you disagree with every fiber of your being, let us know that too~ We're both East Coasters at heart, and we love a good scrap over conflicting views now and again :)

Friday, May 25, 2012



So, apparently, I'm that lone child in the field playing "Blind Man's Bluff" whilst all the rest of the better informed and non-blindfolded children laugh from the shade at my blundering about the field, sipping lemonade and tea cakes. (What do you mean?  That's not what you're childhood consisted of?)

Apparently, one can now pass things on through blogging...who knew?! I'm still trying to figure out my formatting :-) 

At any rate, one of the women on the blogosphere whom I admire greatly (while shamelessly rifling through her blogs for tips that I can employ in my own) sent me a note that I had been nominated for the Kreative Blogger Award!! What joy! What rapture! What does that mean?  To paraphrase, in order to accept this prestigious nomination (pronounced 'press-tij-uss' to properly convey the height of this honor) one must bare one's soul by denoting seven little known facts about myself, and then nominate another Magnificent Seven.  The best part, as Joanne noted : "there’s no monetary investment and you don’t have to send a book or a dish towel to thirty of your closest friends".  Talk about myself with no added postage fee?? Sign me up!  So here it is, kiddos; put up with hearing seven fast facts about me, then you can go off and visit the realms of seven much cooler bloggers than I!! Shall we begin? 

  1.  I have a sad obsession with YA fiction.  It's my version of train wreck TV.  I'm proud to say that I've never watched an episode of The Bachelor, but I have read scores of novels...many with one word titles.  I'm not proud of it, but there it is. 
  2. One of the greatest things I learned in college is that a large spoon, a (wide-mouthed) jar of peanut butter, and a 1 lb bag of M&M's is a better dinner (or lunch, or breakfast) than you will ever find in a cafeteria. 
  3. I consider myself a pretty good haggler, but I'm terribly inefficient with coupons. 
  4. I know the words to every song in about 7 Disney musicals, and can hold my own with many of Broadway's. 
  5. I often drive at least 5 miles over the speed limit home from work.  The speed often increases in direct proportion to the Bon Jovi song to which I'm belting out at the time. 
  6. I was hopeless as a cook through my collegiate years- much of what I learned was gleaned from my husband and the food network.  I <3 Barefoot Contessa.
  7. I get uber pissed off when people downplay the work and talent necessary to be a stay at home mom.  I am back to being full time in the workforce, but secretly wish every day I could stay home to bake with my daughter and read stories to my son at all hours. 

So there you have it...is your life now enriched? 

On to bigger and better things!  In no particular order, here are my archetypes in the blogging world. Stop by to be transported, informed, and amused :-)

  •  My Broken Fiat is written by a fantastic young woman who is daily working to live out her chosen faith, while maintaining an honest, upfront dialogue with the world in which she lives.  Gina pulls no punches, and I love seeing what she has on the table for discussion.  
  • Joanne's Nuts and Bolts- Mama Jo is the phenomenal mother of one of my greatest friends.  She was a source of great encouragement to me for starting this blog...you have her to blame :-) 
  • Nicholle Goodnight Photography- I am not a photographer.  If I was, I would want to be Nicholle.  Her talent oozes out of her blog, sometimes straight through my keyboard, and makes me want to go take pictures.  Alas, mine look nothing like hers.  My own children appear even MORE beautiful when captured with her magical lens.   Oh, and she's total unpretentious.  I like that about her. 
  • Phew. this is harder than I thought. I'm going to have to go a bit more commercial here.  Ok. The Pioneer Woman is a source of great culinary inspiration to me.  I love her rustic, down homey recipes, and I think she'd be a lot of fun to invite over for dinner. Plus, her cookbook makes me laugh. 
  • The Art of Manliness...this is one that my husband came across. He is actually a much better blog-follower than I am, but I must say, this one is really cool.  It's a treasure trove of, well, manly stuff. There are tutorials on how to build things, prizes like a straight razor shaving kit, and of course, how to use said straight razor without inflicting bodily harm. 
  • Into the Wildwood- I'm switching gears here a bit, but that's ok...I'm tricky like that.   Into the Wildwood is an Art/Book/Writing/Drawing blog by a fascinating gent named Ed.   Ed and I have exchanged thoughts on books and such back and forth for a good while now. We tend to argue over methods, or book selection, and I must say that such conversation always makes me feel much smarter than I actually am.  A very peaceful blog.  I like it. So you should go see it. 
  • Lastly, but certainly not leastly, Sarah Unfiltered . I'm new to this one, but I have to say, I'm a fan. SarahUnfiltered is a happy amalgamation of life, recipes, DIY, and cute babies.  Seriously, stop by, and if the cover photo doesn't make you giggle, or at least smirk, then feel free to go about your life.  Just know you'll be missing out. 

THERE! I've done it! Go forth, and blog mightily. I, on the other hand, will be going to bed.  Oh, and tag. You're it. 
                                     

3 comments:

  1. I'll gladly accept the blame for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I have a sad obsession with YA fiction. It's my version of train wreck TV."

    Might I direct you to the Oz Chronicles by RW Ridley? First book is free and subsequent ones are like $2 through Amazon Kindle.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I do not know of these, Gina!! I'll have to look into it...thanks for the suggestion :)

      Delete